Allowable Things To Bring Inside The Treatment Facility
After deciding to enrol for a rehab it is essential to understand the kind of items you will be allowed to bring into the centres along with any private items which the treatment centres will not allow.
What you can carry to rehabilitation is subject to clinics' severe regulations. Majority of facilities give you a list of permitted and prohibited items.
The admission process begins as soon as you check in. All the items that are not allowed will be eliminated at this step. While other centres provide you with the checklist of what you can bring.
Supplies are permitted in the therapy clinics. However, each rehab has its own conditions on what they allow and what is not allowed.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Knowing The Packing Requirements Of Your Rehab
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. Search for the FAQ page if that section is not present. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
The list varies from centre to centre.
These are some of the things that you will find allowed in most rehabs
- A list of names, home addresses, and telephone numbers of the people you want to be part of your therapy (those you care about, medical professionals, 12 step guarantors, etc.).
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- Alarm clock with no other features like radio or what not.
- It is important to get in touch with the rehab clinic before as some of them provide these objects.
- The original bottle from the drugstore with the information label integral and your actual prescription medicine.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Your insurance cards along with a method of identification [driver's license, passport, etc.].
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- Your diary.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Photos of your family members and friends.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- In case you insist on bringing your own reading material, they are to be recovery related, self-help and spiritual materials.
- ADVISE Paperback books are more convenient than hardcovers.
The Attire You Should Have With You
Most centres for rehab adhere to a strict dress code, and therefore, it is essential for you to be aware about any restrictions, which may apply during the packing. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
Attire for a week is sufficient as you should be able to wash your clothing in a laundry machine at your centre. It is best to take along only those clothes that can be cleaned easily.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Shorts Lengths may be determined by the centre to comply with a dress code.
- Dressy outfits for special occasions like the family night will also be useful.
- Bathing suits a one-piece for women and trunks for men is usually enough.
- A coat / jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt, if needed.
- A hat.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
A number of centres require alcohol-free toiletries and personal products. There are other centres that will let you bring products that do not contain alcohol in the first three ingredients. No aerosols are allowed.
These toiletries and personal products should be enough you to last thirty days especially
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair wash and care products
- Hair gels
- Hair brush
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
- Sun cream
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. The measures taken to ensure your safety and to create the best environment for your recovery. The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and alcohol
- Medicines that are not prescribed
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Pornographic materials
- Foods and drinks
- Toiletries and beauty products which contain alcohol (mouthwash, perfume, etc.)
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications.
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Video games and DVDs
- Games equipment
- Skimpy clothes
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Cleaning agents like bleach or ammonia
- Electronics [televisions, gaming consoles, etc.]
- Games and playing cards
- Candles and incense
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
The items mentioned in this list could very well surprise you and lead you to believe that games like playing cards, video games, DVDs and sporting equipment are indeed safe. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. They will provide screening schedules or any equivalent at their specified time.
Outside catering is also prohibited because the food you eat needs to be according to the standards. You will be provided with three meals a day, snacks and beverages. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
Items Which Some Facilities Allow And Some Do Not
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Computer Equipment
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- Cigarettes are permitted at certain centres if you are a smoker.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Multivitamins and OTC Drugs
- These products must be new and unopened.
- These must also be new.
- Music Players
- Any electronic devices with no internet connectivity features are also allowed.
- Shutterbugs can rest assured that some centres will allow cameras that are not Internet capable.
- Shaving Equipments
- Due to their dangerousness, razors may be forbidden in certain clinics.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Cutters
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Objects That Make You Feel At Home
- Many centres allow patients to bring their own mattresses and pillows and other stuff to give their room a more homely appearance.
- However, all these items should be allowed first.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Don't freak out if you bring along something forbidden after you get to the clinic. In all likelihood, the centre will handover the item to the individual who accompanied you. Someone you trust can also come to pick them up from the facility. In some cases, the centres may decide to store the items for you until your departure.
This is mainly in instances where the close relatives are far and cannot come immediately. You are therefore recommended to call your rehab centres before you leave home to double check their policies. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Packing For Rehab Can Be Easy To ensure smooth and easy process when checking in, just follow your centre's rules and policies about allowed items. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. As a generally suggested idea, pack and travel light and keep it to bare essentials.
Act Now For Help
No need to worry since some of the facilities accept most of the items that will make your recovery process as smooth as possible. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
Contact your clinic by giving us a phone call now on 0800 246 1509.